The predecessor of the Department of Fine Arts was the Arts Program of National Taichung Teachers' College established in 1946, the first fine arts program in Taiwan . Over the years, famous artists have trained students in art education and some students have become outstanding artists. In 1992, the Department of Fine Arts and Crafts Education was founded, and in 2003, the department established a master's degree program to promote excellence in art education. The department changed its name to the Department of Fine Arts in 2006. The new goals focus on three areas: art creation, art history and theory, and art design. At present, it includes 9 faculty members: 4 professors, 4 associate professors, and 1 assistant professor. 4 of the faculty members have Ph.D. degrees.